Please check out my new vid of Angel Coulby - The music is set to Maya Angelou's poem "And Still I Rise" it is sung by Amy Sky
I will be doing or updating the vid of Angels character Guinevere. Let us know what you think. I used stills and Merlin's BTS vids. Sorry about the marks on the photos.
- Current Mood:accomplished
I have been lurking around many fandoms and You-tube, reading what people have said, and are saying about the TV series Merlin, which happens to be my favourite show at the moment, I’ve even had heated discussions on You-tube. I just happen to love this show, especially the cast, the stories, and the writing.
Unfortunately or fortunately due to my naivety, I didn’t realise how much people in fandoms are so focused on how a person looks, their “beauty”. It left me thinking that we as human beings thrust so much of our ideals on others, such as, this actor SHOULD (I don’t like the word should to me it means you don’t have any other option) look a certain way because that is how it is in myth, or that actor SHOULD look that way because in their eyes they look “beautiful”, I mean what about their performance as an actor, isn’t this why they were employed in the first place, I personally think that if you only watch a show for their looks, it disrespects who they are as an actor. Which brings me to a quote by Bruce Lee I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
Another thing I see, is when actors are in a personal relationship/partnership with each other, and people think one partner is more “beautiful” than the other, they feel that the partner who they perceived as not “beautiful” is not worthy of the supposedly “beautiful” partner, so therefore they don’t belong together, and yes I do understand the age group of some fans in fandoms. The thing is, if you relied on your “beauty” to get you through life, what happens if that is taken away from you, this doesn’t mean that you’d stop being who you are, you are still a person, and the measure of you is the choice you would make to deal with that. I think everybody has forgotten or don’t want to know about what love, values, respect, kindness, choice and individuality means. Lao Tzu says: Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love - Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, While loving someone deeply gives you courage
It occurred to me when people were describing two of the six lead characters of Merlin namely Angel Coulby and Bradley James the descriptors were extremely different, the descriptors for Angel were both pleasant and very, very unpleasant, and for Bradley majority were pleasant, like he could do no wrong, and even if he did, there was always an excuse. It’s sad that most of the unpleasant words said about Angel are from women. It appears that they have forgotten, do not know, or care about the women who came before us who have fought and struggled to have equality, these women paved the way for the women of today, such as Rosa Parks, Marie Curie, and Dorothy Hodgkin just to name a few. Wayne Dyer says: When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself, and Maya Angelou - “I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
This brings me to the point of why I wanted to write something that’s been on my mind for a while; this is my perception of words that best describes Angel. I wanted to put both attraction and beauty in the same sentence. My perception of attraction is what draws me to that person, and my perception of beauty is anything and everything, because I see beauty in life. I’m going off on a tangent for a second, I don’t particularly like the saying “You complete me” I guess the best way I can describe it is, no one else can be you, no one has your thoughts or feelings, you may share them with others, but that’s all, you are unique.
I’m back, so below are the reasons I’m attracted to Angel Coulby. These attractions come from seeing, reading and hearing interviews, episode commentaries, behind the scenes (BTS), and cast videos (vids). I realise that what I have written about them is only a part of my perception of who they are:
1. I am attracted to the beauty of her acting in 2:07 when Gwen is running through the crowd to get to Arthur, she is apologising and being polite to those she passes(you wonder if she was in character or not);
2. I am attracted to the beauty of the little details when she acts, such as on the ramparts in 2:13 whilst talking to Gaius, and she says “I know it can never be” the little shrug and shake of the head, or 2:10 when she is walking with Arthur in the courtyard, the expressions on her face, she makes you feel what she feels, that was a great scene between them;
3. I am attracted to the beauty of her playing one of the most hated women in myth, and have fans changing their minds about who Guinevere is – (it amazes me how the woman is to blame for bringing down a kingdom (depending on what myth you talk about), even though there are three people involved but that’s a whole different story,)
4. I am attracted to the beauty of her voice when I close my eyes and am still able to see her performance.
5. I am attracted to the beauty of how she has brought this Guinevere to life and given her character, more than just a face, a mythical history
6. I am attracted to the beauty of her not wearing any makeup and how natural she is, not a lot of actresses would do that, some even wear makeup in bed scenes
7. I am attracted to the beauty of her creativity such as sewing, or designing her own clothes, learning the guitar, reading books, instead of the “what if”
8. I am attracted to the beauty of the interviews she gives, especially about women who can be strong not only physically but emotionally
9. I am attracted to the beauty of her saying in an interview that children should keep reading books even though we now have the internet
10. I am attracted to the beauty of her presence when she appears on our screens
11. I am attracted to the beauty of her natural grace
12. I am attracted to the beauty of her infectious laugh (belly laugh) the best you can have
13. I am attracted to the beauty of her to include everyone, like it would hurt someone if left out.
14. I am attracted to the beauty of her playfulness especially in the cast diaries BTS vids
15. I am attracted to the beauty that she exudes from within
16. I am attracted to the beauty of her sense of humour
17. I am attracted to the beauty of how funny (ha ha) she can be
18. I am attracted to the beauty of her encouragement of anyone going into acting and telling them not to give up
I found this somewhere, I’m not sure where but I love this description of women
A good woman is proud of herself, she respects herself and others, she is aware of who she is, she neither seeks definition from the person she is with, nor does she expects them to read her mind
She is quite capable of articulating her needs,
A good women is hopeful, she is strong enough to make her dreams come true, she knows love therefore she gives love, she recognises that her love has great value, and must be reciprocated
If her love is taken for granted, it soon disappears,
A good woman has a dash of inspiration, a dabble of endurance, she knows that she will at times have to inspire others to reach the potential they were given
A good woman knows her past, understands her present and moves towards the future
A good woman does not live in fear of her future because of her past, instead she understands that her life experiences are merely lessons, meant to bring her closer to self knowledge and unconditional self love
(Random thought) Angel and Bradley when acting together complement each other, and you can tell by their strong performance in 2:02, they had to sell the Arthur/Guinevere relationship, which I thought they did well.
I’m not saying Angel is perfect, we all have lessons to learn. Sometimes our judgement and choices leads us on a path that’s destructive or not who we are (our truth), so long as we learn from them.
As you can see these are only some of the qualities that make up Angel is amazing, each and every one of us have qualities that makes us who we are as human beings, we just need to believe it. This is what my perception of attraction and beauty are; it’s not just about what’s on the outside.
Just a quick story about a TV show I saw, which was a bit disturbing, because it was about the alterations made to photos in “beauty” magazines, I can’t remember the name of the show, but the reporter wanted a top magazine to take photos of her just the way she is, without making any alterations (air brush), apparently only one magazine was convinced to do it. She also interview some 9/10 year old girls about their image, and physical appearance, it was sad listening to some of the answers, some said they wanted to lose weight, change their noses, eyes, lips, look like this actress/singer, or that actress/singer. What I truly found disturbing and shocking was a 9/10 year old girl wanted to change the colour of her skin.
A friend of mine told me that where she (my friend) comes from, they look down on anyone who skin is dark because they are considered inferior even though she is the same race as they are, so you have to wonder what kind of exposure our children are getting, whether it is from parents ( and I’m not blaming parents), schools, magazines, friends, TV, or the internet, and it’s sad how we can’t accept ourselves for who we are and the qualities we have, instead some of us are willing to change our appearance or personalities to live other people’s ideals, standards, expectations or labels.
And on that note, I will end with two more quotes one from Lao Tzu and also from Oprah Winfrey
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
“WE ARE OUR POSSIBILITIES” – OPRAH
My next post will be about the Arthur/Gwen relationship and how some fans/fandoms think it was too fast, I just happen to think it wasn’t.
- Current Location:Australia, Mortdale
- Current Mood: hopeful